Sunday, October 18, 2009

MY OLD (VERY OLD) TRIED & TRUE RECIPES!!!


MY OLD (VERY OLD) TRIED & TRUE RECIPES!

Here are a few of the recipes I have used over & over again the past 50 years…I use to make 14 pumpkin pies at a time and they were all gone in a day…With a family of 10to feed, plus relatives & friends it never took long for everything to disappear at my house.
These are all very simple to make, with simple ingredients….

MEATLOAF

This is a very moist meatloaf, because of the way I cook it. I use a big roaster (only kind I have) to cook it in. NO loaf pan! I mix the ingredients right in the roaster, so no bowl to clean up. Then I put my peeled carrots and potatoes in with the meatloaf, salt & pepper them, put 3 strips of bacon on top of the meatloaf and cover the top with ketchup, then I pour in 1-1/2 cups of water, cover and bake at 350 degrees for one (1) hour or till done…

INGREDIENTS:
2-pounds ground beef
1-1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
2-eggs
3/4 –cup water
1/3-cup ketchup
1-Tablespoon Worchester sauce
1-envelope onion soup mix

DIRECTIONS;
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine all ingredients, shape into a loaf
Put 3 strips of bacon on top & drizzle with ketchup
Peel and cut up as many carrots and potatoes you need or will fit in your roaster.
Bake 1 hour or until done.

PUMPKIN PIE

This is the recipe that I have always used…My family and friends love it with a dollop of Cool Whip….I only use Festal brand pumpkin…The other brands just don’t seem to be as good. I use to make my own pie crusts, but now I buy the already made ones…Getting lazy in my old age and they are just as good anyway…I do dust the pie crust with a little flour before I put it into the pie tin..

INGREDIENTS:
1-can (15oz) pumpkin
1-9” deep dish pie crust
3-eggs slightly beaten
1-cup granulated sugar
½-teaspoon salt
1-teaspoon cinnamon
¼-teaspoon EACH of cloves, nutmeg & ginger
1-cup evaporated milk

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Prepare 1 pie crust. Combine eggs, sugar, salt and spices and beat well.
Blend in pumpkin, add milk and beat well.
Pour into pastry lined pie tin.
Bake in hot 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. Now make a covering with foil for the edges of the pie (keeps them from getting to brown) and put it around the edge of the pie crust. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake for 40-45 minutes…Make sure to start the timing when oven has reached 350 degrees again...it has lost some heat while you put the foil on the edges…Pie is done when a butter knife, inserted in center, comes out clean.

APPLE SLICES

During apple picking time I never seem to be able to make enough Apple Slices. They are a nice break from apple pie and apple cake…When I make these I might as well make 3 extra pans for my granddaughters and youngest daughter…

CRUST:
2-1/2-cups flour
1-cup shortening
1-egg yolk with 2/3-cup milk (save egg white to use for topping)

FILLING
¼-cup crushed cornflakes
8-10-apples
1-cup sugar
1-teaspoon cinnamon

TOPPING
1-cup powdered sugar
1-Tablespoon milk
1-teaspoon vanilla
1-egg white beaten until foamy

DIRECTIONS:
Mix together flour and shortening till crumbly. Add egg yolk and milk.
Roll out ½ of dough and place in Jelly Roll Pan.
Sprinkle on cornflakes crumbs. Peel, core & thinly slice apples. Mix apples with the sugar & cinnamon.
Put over cornflake crumbs.
Roll out 2nd half of dough and cover the apples.
Brush top with the egg white.


Bake at 375 degrees for one (1) hour.
Mix together the powdered sugar, milk & vanilla for the topping.
Remove from oven and drizzle the topping over the apple slices.
Cut into bars.

WILL BE POSTING MORE OF MY OLD TRIED & TRUE RECIPES THIS WEEK!

8 comments:

COUNTRY PICKINS said...

These all look so yummy. I am definetly going to try them out this week, especially the apple recipe. I do want you to know how much I enjoy your blog, also. Thanks for the recipes. Hugs, Linda

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your recipes! I would like to try the apple slices recipe! I know I would love it!

Canarella said...

Gosh I love you......

Vera said...

Everything looks so good, I know I would love that pie.

Domestic Goddess said...

I love your recipes. I have a family of six, so I cook in bulk also! I am always looking for "old" recipes that are made from scratch with simple ingredients. I believe fresh is best!

Anonymous said...

apple slice sounds fab! im always trying to think of variations from apple pie and crumble

CHER said...

YUM!!!! I wish I could bring you home!!!! IT is so awesome that you share so much with us. What a blessing you are to share your wisdom with us.Its like learning from the mother I never had. Thanks so much!!!Have a blessed day!!

Mrs Shak said...

My middle child wanted apple pie for her birthday but I knew that one pie wouldn't feed everyone and I had a limited supply of apples (and time). I looked for my grandfather's apple slice recipe but couldn't find it. I searched and found yours. Everyone was thrilled with your recipe. Thank you for sharing!