Sunday, February 6, 2011

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ABOUT THE HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT!


I have had several questions regarding the Bourbon Vanilla and where to get Vanilla Beans. I hope this answers them.

Pure Vanilla Extract should have no sugar added and will last forever, aging like fine liquor. Beware of cheap "pure" vanilla extract. If the bargain seems to be too good to be true, it is probably an adulterated extract.

In order to meet FDA standards, pure vanilla extract must contain 13.35 ounces of vanilla beans per gallon during extraction and 35 percent alcohol.

Imitation Vanilla

Imitation vanilla is made from artificial flavorings, most of which come from wood byproducts and often contain chemicals.

Discerning palates find the imitation vanilla products to have a harsh quality with a bitter aftertaste. Twice as much imitation vanilla flavoring is required to match the strength of pure vanilla extract.

You use the Bourbon Vanilla Extract the same as any Vanilla Extract.

To find the Vanilla Beans just click on Top Vanilla in my post yesterday!

4 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Thanks so much for personally responding to my questions and then for posting them for all. I am definitely using the rum to make my vanilla and I know it will be awesome. Thanks for sharing this tutorial.
★Linda★

Karen~The Barely There Primitive Bear said...

Thanks for letting me know, also...
I was more interested in the vanilla extract, so I didn't read the other recipe.

Bear Hugs~Karen

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Thanks for sharing this information with us...
sandraallen260@centurytel.net

BumbleBeeLane said...

Thanks for all your help.These will be nice gifts for the holidays.Warm Blessings!~Amy