Thursday, October 16, 2008

Omelet In Ziplock Bag...Quick & Easy!!!



"That's weird," chorused my sons when I emerged with an omelet cooked in a plastic bag. "Why didn't you use a frying pan?"
When you cook an egg in a bag, you're going to get some comments. But it works, it's slick, and it avoids the all-important clean up. The omelets can be mixed ahead and stored in Ziploc®-type plastic bags in your refrigerator for several days. When you get ready to eat, drop the pouched eggs in boiling water and . . . presto, you have omelets without the mess.

Ingredients:
1 quart size ziploc bag
2 eggs
Salt & Pepper to taste
Omelet ingredients: bacon bits, cheese, veggies, or other omelet goodies
pepper and salt to taste (If you use cheese or bacon, do not add as much salt since the ingredients are salty.)


Directions:
1. Bring a large pan of water to a roiling boil.
2. Whisk all the ingredients together with a fork. Pour the omelet mixture into a sandwich-sized Ziploc®-type plastic bag. Make sure you get all of the air out and that the seal is tight.
3. Carefully place the plastic bag (or bags because you can cook several at one time) in the boiling water. Let it boil for 14 minutes or until the omelet is nearly set.

If you overcook it, it will be rubbery. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the omelet, the altitude, and the size of the pan. The omelet will continue to cook in the bag once it is removed from the water so remove the bag when the center of the omelet is not quite firm.
Remove the omelet (the omelet will come out easily) from the bag and serve.

Note #1: The steam in the plastic bag will make it balloon and look like it may burst. In my experience, it won't.
Note #2: With a little coaxing, the bag will lie flat in the water as it heats. You will not need to turn the bag over.
Note #3: Make sure that you keep the omelet mix cold. Without being in their protective shells, eggs will not keep as long. When you cook the eggs, they should get hot enough to kill bacteria-but be on the safe side and keep your eggs cold anyway..














4 comments:

Theresa said...

Hi Sue! I have heard of this before and never tied it. Looks to be easy ans looks good. Thanks for posting it.

Theresa

Catty Wampus said...

Hi Sue; I wanted to visit and thank you for all the kind comments you have left; I thought I was answering them as I have them sent to my email but I now believe that this was not this case! Yikes this computer stuff is tricky! I didn't want you to think that you went unnoticed; And I love all the wonderful mixes you have posted; whoo what a way to also save money! Thank you for your friendship and kindness! I really do appreciate you and am very glad to have met such a kind person! Many blessings to you my friend!

Jan said...

Hi, Sue! It's been a while since I was on the blogs...and you have been busy! Thanks so much for the recipes!! You managed to hit the ones that I have wondered about, and hate to spend money on, as I am never sure if it is healthy! And, with times the way they are..what awesome money saving ideas! Thanks!!!

Debbies Doodle said...

We make onelets in a bag a lot when we camp. It is great fun for a group also. We set up food stations lined up with all the choices plus a marker to put there names on each persons bags. Check out our girls camp and ride. I love your reciepes.. thank you.
deb http://debbiedohair.blogspot.com/