Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Treat From Walmart Killed My Dog!!

Don't Let It Happen to You!!!!...Received this email from my daughter Cearle, who got it from her friend....Thought I would pass it on to my dog loving friends.....

I would like to warn all dog lovers out there to be very careful about the dog treats that you give your dogs. Last week I bought a "Real Ham Bone" made by Dynamic Pet Products of Missouri from Walmart. Here is what it looks like:


The label says it is made with "100% Food Grade Ingredients" and it isn't made from China. I thought that meant that this would make a good treat for my dogs. Boy was I wrong. Trace, my dog, enjoyed chewing on this bone. It did not splinter or anything, in fact there is quite a large piece of it still left. Then in the evening she started vomiting. She spent the next day at a veterinarian's office where she was diagnosed with a blockage of the colon. That night she endured a 4 hour surgery at Brandon Veterinary Specialists where the vet picked out small round pellets of the bone, up to the size of about a b-b. The next morning she was moved to Florida Veterinary Specialist critical care unit. Again in the evening she had another 2 hour surgery, because the blockage had caused poison in her body. She passed away at 4:30 the next afternoon. Everyone who hears this horrible story immediately says "Well that sounds like a lawsuit to me". That is what I thought also. Since then, I have learned that is not that easy to sue on behalf of a dog. The lawyers say a dog is a possession just like a couch. So, so far, all I have been able to do is write a certified letter to Dynamic Pet Products of Missouri. In it I requested my vet bills to be paid and their product to be relabeled or preferably removed from the shelf. I don't know if I will get a response. If anyone else has any ideas about how I may address this issue, please let me know at djurgens12@aol.com. In the memory of Trace, please pass this email on to all of the dog lovers that you know. This type of bone is sold in all of the stores under several different manufacturers names. I would assume they all may do the same thing. Even if they don't splinter, they can cause a blockage....




6 comments:

Pam said...

Oh Sue that was a very sad story. I feel so sorry for her. And I can't believe they say that a dog is a possession like a couch. An animal has feeling just like a person. That is such a sick thing to say to someone that has just lost a dear friend, a member of her family. Some people can be so cold when it comes to animals. I hope she can do something about that. My dog had a problem from eating raw hide bones. The vet said never to give them to her because they can get caught in the intestines. She was very sick from that. He is such a pretty dog.

hugs pam

Terry said...

Oh how sad Sue. I've got tears in my eyes, and telling her a dog is a possession like a couch makes me hopping mad! All of our dogs we've had are just like our kids....well, maybe a little more spoiled. hahaha!
I make my dog, Olive O, peanut treats, and even make her dog food. She has dry Purina for breakfast, and brown rice, chicken thighs, and carrots or green beans for dinner.
I made the mistake of getting on the government web site about dog food several years ago, and I'll never feed my sweetie anything but Purina and what I mix up for her.
Some of the 'big' companies use things in their food that is disgusting!
My heart goes out to your friend.
Terry

Diane said...

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the loss of your precious canine family member and for the pain and suffering he went through. And thank you for getting the word out about those horrible dog bones.
Blessings to you and your family.
Diane

Doreen said...

Sue, I'm so very sorry to hear this. The poor gal. Best of luck with addressing this issue...how insane to consider a family member a possession..you would think that these days...with pet insurance and all that that way of thinking would have changed!!!!

Hugs,
Doreen

Theresa said...

Sue, so sorry to hear about this. My heart goes out to them. I would have them call 1-800-walmart. They definately need to address this as right now wal-mart is so scred of getting sued, they will probably have a recall on it. I sure wouldn't let it drop, as I would surely not want to see anyone else go through this.

Theresa

Country*Road*Primitives said...

Very sad to hear this and to give your dog a treat only to find that it isn't good for them is horrible :( *sending prayers to their family*