Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This & That Kitchen Junk Drawer Wednesday!



PAPER MACHE:
The things you can make with paper mache are only limited by your imagination. As paper mache dries, it hardens over the mold you have made. You can make doll heads, Christmas ornaments,snowmen, pinatas, dolls, dollhouses, boxes, sculptures or bowls. The final dried product can be painted, decoupaged or decorated however you please.
Make a form from wire, wadded newspaper, stuffed paper bags, or balloons. For a flat piece, such as a dollhouse or box, you can use a piece of cardboard. Tear newspaper into strips. Narrower strips work best for a rounded mold and larger strips are good for flat or rectangular shapes. Choose one of the following recipes to make the paste. Dip strips into paste, coating completely, squeezing out excess paste with your fingers. Use the strips to cover your pre-made form. If you overlap the strips, your finished product will look smoother. Allow each layer to dry before adding another layer. Cover your form with 4 layers.


PAPER MACHE PASTE:
Rather than make my own paste for paper mache, I use liquid starch that is relatively inexpensive. I bought a large jug at the supermarket that I have been using for years. It gives the same result as the cooked method. It dries smooth and clear - fantastic for use with gift wrap scraps. I use it with brown grocery bags when I want to create pottery or leather looking crafts...add a little cinnamon to the mix - it makes it smell good...

Here is another if you want to do the cooked method.
Try this easy paper mache paste recipe:
Take 1 heaped soup ladle of powdered cornstarch
Place in a heat proof bowl
Add enough COLD water to form a paste and to dissolve powder to consistency of thick cream.
Pour in one kettleful (1.7 litres) of RAPIDLY BOILING (MUST be bubbling away...) and stir like crazy...!
It is very very HOT like porridge and it can form lumps so I usually give it a whisk or beating with my electric mixer to smooth it.
Paste should change from opaque white to translucent once the boiling water is added.
It will keep a few days and can be microwaved to be heated so it's less "jelly-like". Kids love to use it while it's warm, but it works equally well cold
A couple tablespoons of salt can be added to prolong shelf life...

Do you have dryer lint and want to use it?

Dryer Lint Papier Mache Paste:
Ingredients:
3 cups lint from your dryer
2 cups water
2/3 cup wheat flour
3 drops oil of wintergreen
newspaper

Method:
Put lint and water in a large saucepan. Get all of the lint wet. Add flour and stir constantly so lumps won't form. Add oil of wintergreen. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly,until mixture holds together and forms peaks. Pour out onto several thicknesses of newspaper to cool. Adding Elmer's glue to a any recipe will give it more strength!

HOMEMADE EGG SUBSTITUTE:

6 egg whites
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 Tablespoon corn oil
6 drops yellow food coloring

In a medium bowl combine egg whites, dry milk powder and oil. stir with a fork or wire whisk till thoroughly combined, then add food coloring and mix it in well. You will get 4-1/4 cup servings...store in fridge for 1 week or freeze in 1/4 cup servings........Weight Watchers Points is 1 for two 1/4 cup servings!

ZUCCHINI OMELET:

8" zucchini grated
1 Tablespoon chopped onion
Spray a non stick skillet with cooking spray. Over medium high heat,saute the zucchini & onion till tender. Lower heat to medium and pour 1/2 cup of egg substitute over and cook till set...Serve with 2 Tablespoons salsa...Now this really good..
Weight Watchers Points is 1

For lunch today I had 1 La Tortilla Factory tortilla(green onion one),1 ounce of boiled chicken breast chopped and 1/4 cup of my Jicama Slaw (see Mondays post for recipe)...I warmed the tortilla for 20 seconds, put some hot mustard (wal-mart) on it, then the chopped chicken and the jicama slaw, salt substitute and pepper...It was so good and filling, and all of that for 2 weight watchers points...The tortilla has 50 calories, but it has 6 grams of fiber which makes 1 of them = 0 weight watchers points...

My final this & that...

SWAN CANDLE COMPANY


Click here 12 oz Kitchen Pantry Jar to go to their site:
If you want the best smelling candle you have ever used then get a Gingerbread Candle from The Swan Candle company...a few years ago, Becky from "Tennessee Ridge Primitives" sent me one and I have been buying them ever since...Tried the other scents, but none of them compared with the gingerbread....I got a candle warmer at Wal-Mart for about $6, and I put that candle on it (I never burn it)and you can smell it even in my basement...and best of all it lasts and lasts...You won't be sorry and they send you another small candle for free....



4 comments:

Janene said...

Sue~
Those are great recipes!
I am going to order one of those candles tonight!
How long do you melt yours before the smell goes away?
Months?

basketsnprims said...

Hi, Sue!
I love zucchini omelettes. I'm going to check into the candles. Thanks for the paper machie recipes. Have a wonderful evening.

Pam

Doreen Frost said...

Love your music!!!

Great recipes and this & that!

Thank you for all these great ideas and recipes.

:)Doreen

Deb's Country Crafts said...

Hi, Sue thanks for visiting my blog. You have a great blog too. I will put you in my blog roll maybe you can put mine in yours. I sent my sons your sons website to check out. We are a huge fishing family, we all LOVE to fish. My youngest son Luke is in Taveres Fl right now in the BASS open tournement it started today. I am so nervous and hope he does good. He entered his first Open tourney last Oct it was in Paris Landing Tenn. I love the town of Fairbault. I went to an antique store there in downtown that was like a candy store for me with old sewing supplies, buttons, lace etc. I've been through there twice since and it was on days the store was closed, that was aweful. Take care now.